Saturday, January 12, 2013

David Choi - The First Blast of Freshness


YouChannel

David Yong Choi is a Korean American musician and youtube video producer. He was born on March 22, 1986 to Ray Choi and Jane Choi. Obviously David got his talents from both parents. Ray plans auto-harp and Jane owns a music store calls “Grace Store”. David was surrounded by music growing up and does not think that he would have pursued music today without those influences. 

At a young age, David was required to play the piano and violin, an experience he didn't much enjoy it. Davis had not heard a pop song until he was in the sixth grade. Choi eventually ceased violin lessons in high school and commenced jazz piano lessons in ninth grade. It is at this time that David began to compose music, and he won his first award after submitting an instrumental pop song for a contest. As of now, he performs a mix of original songs and covers of pop hits. David worked as a songwriter and producer at Warner/Chappel Music, which signed him on after his participation in an American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) workshop.

I first got in touch with David Choi after I watch the video “Lucky Guy” released by Wong Fu Productions. David’s husky voice attracted my attention. I started to search for some of his other songs. David’s songs gave me the first blast of freshness as they are so different than what I've been listening all this while.

Most of David’s songs are about love, relationships and break-ups. It was mentioned in Wiki that he describes his own music as “poppy with a hint of jazz and folk”. You might think that David’s a sad, solemn person with a poker face, but if you track his songs, you’ll find that most of his songs are often happy melodies. Take “When You’re Single” for instant, David put the song in a fun way and it makes me feel that “Hell, I'm dang proud to be single!”

Here are some of my favourites to share:

Missing Piece – Still my favourite. This song was in my replay list for almost one week.

Lucky Guy – I wasn’t that much in love with this song at first. But I think it just gets better and better after listening to it for a few times.

Something to Believe – A song which I find quite relaxing. I just discovered the song a few weeks ago and it is now the ringtone of my phone.

Darling It's You (ft. Clara.C) – Another of my favourites. I recommended the song to my sis, and now the song is in her playlist.

The Way You Are & My Time with You (ft. Kina Grannis) – Beautifully sung duets.

If you’re wondering what albums that David had released in the past few years, here they are for your reference.

Only You (2007 – 2008): Love, Won't Even Start, Something to Believe, Only You


By My Side (2009 – 2010): That Girl, By My Side, Better You











Forever and Ever (2011): Missing Piece, When You're Single, Lucky Guy, Forever and Ever, Thinking About You
















Subscribe to David Choi's channel on youtube to get more of his songs and covers, or follow him on Twitter / Instagram to get to know a Better David. 

No comments:

Post a Comment